Name Change - Child

In some instances, a child’s name may be changed if the court finds that a name change is in the best interest of the child.A petition for name change usually is filed in the county where the child resides. A child 10 years old or older must consent to the change of name. All parents and conservators of the child must receive notice of the name change lawsuit.