Name Change - Adult

A name-change for an adult may be accomplished two different ways:

  • In a divorce, a party may change her name to a prior used name which will be specified in the final divorce decree; or,
  • A petition for name change can be filed in the county where the adult resides.

If a petition for name change is filed, the court will order a name change if the court finds the change is in the interest or to the benefit of the adult and in the interest of the public. Other requirements must be met if the person requesting the name change has a final felony conviction or is someone subject to the registration requirements of the Code of Criminal Procedure.